Appealing a Veterans Disability Benefits Claim

Has the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denied Your Claim?

Being denied VA benefits can be devastating. After a lengthy process, finding out that you’ve been denied benefits or that you have not received the level of benefits you expected can feel like the end of the road, but you do not have to give up. You may appeal the VA decision, and an experienced attorney can help you.

At the Law Offices of Kenneth Hiller, PLLC, you will find lawyers who can help you navigate the complex VA benefits process. From our offices in Rochester, NY we assist clients with veterans disability appeals.

About Veterans Benefits Appeals

Often, people who appeal VA decisions have been denied for disabilities that they believe began while they were in the military or they believe their condition is more severe than the VA rated it. If you are in one of these situations or if you have another reason for disagreeing with a decision about your benefits, a VA appeal is possible. Our lawyers can help.

In general, the appeals process may involve:

  • Sending a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) that informs your local VA office that you intend to appeal
  • Requesting a review by a decision review officer. This officer takes a second look at your file and may hold a hearing on your application.
  • Completing a substantive appeal form, also called a VA Form 9, which presents your side of the story
  • Requesting a hearing. Depending on your situation, it may be advisable to request a hearing with your local VA office or with the Board of Veterans Appeals, which is located in Washington, D.C.

This can be a complex process, which is why many veterans seek assistance. If your claim is denied by the Board of Veterans Appeals, you may be able to file a claim with the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. This court was set up to hear appeals of decisions by the Board of Veterans Appeals. It is advisable to have representation from an experienced attorney if you intend to appeal your claim to this court.

Contact the Law Offices of Kenneth Hiller, PLLC

At the Rochester NY Law Offices of Kenneth Hiller, PLLC, our attorneys can explain what to do if you receive a denial letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. We will make sure that your paperwork is properly handled and that strict deadlines are met. To learn more about us, contact us today for a free consultation. Call 877.236.7366. You may also contact us online.